Sunday, November 04, 2007

What is Christmas???

Christmas is one of my favorite holidays. I love the decorations, dream of white Christmases, love the traditions that come with the holiday and love the time spent with family. Growing up I loved going to the midnight service. I loved listening to the Christmas story told during the sermon, the Christmas music that was played and sung, and the candle light at the end. I also remember the excitement of going to bed to wait for Santa Claus to come and leave presents in our stockings and under the tree. The excitement on Christmas morning was increased while waiting until mom had her coffee ready and everyone was up. These things are all things I would like my children to experience.

But I have a delima and it is how to balance the true meaning of Christmas with the commercial one. I definitely want my children to know that the greastest gift they could ever receive has already been given to the. I want them to understand that Jesus is that gift and know all that he is and means. But at the same time I want them to enjoy the other traditions like Santa Clause, presents, stocking, food and decorating for the holidays. As October ends it seems that Thanksgiving is forgotten in the preparation for the Christmas holidays. Kids start being bombarded with commercials of the toys they must have this holiday season. The news talks about the must have toys for the holiday. Stores are decorated for Christmas and playing Christmas music. And commercials like the Best Buy one we saw where everyone is wanting to open their presents and the Dad says you can open them after we go see Gradma. The family hops into the car pulls up in front of Grandma's house where she is waving from the front porch. The family starts waving and saying hi and then the mom says, "I think were done." and they drive off.

Right now I want my kids to think about all they are thankful for instead of all the things they want for Christmas. I also want them to know that Christmas isn't just about the receiving of gifts but of the giving as well. I enjoy giving gifts. I enjoy thinking long and hard about the individuals I am giving gifts to and what I perceive is the perfect gift. I hope I do a good job of that. But I really want the kids to know GOD and know that the greatest gift we will ever receive came from him and that was the birth of Jesus. And that is why we celebrate Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christmas is about eating Aqua Dots.