Wednesday, May 13, 2009



It's been a long while since I blogged. I'm not sure why I took the break but I needed it. I have had a lot going on but haven't been able to put most of it into words for one reason or another. Things seem to be getting better. And I am strongly feeling like it's time to begin thinking about the good things God has given me in my life instead of focusing on the negative. So instead I am going to focus on the things I am thankful for at the moment. God is good and there are lots of good things in my life.

1. Matt's Graduation: As I stated earlier this week we are all so proud and thankful for Matt. He graduated with his masters and second in his class no less! We are thankful for having such a hard working and devoted father and husband in our lives.

2. I am so glad it's only a hernia. Several years ago we discovered a mass in my abdomen. It was removed and turned out to be a desmoid tumor which is benign. Though we were told there was a chance it could come back. Several months ago I discovered another mass. It felt different and it was in a different spot but it warranted a trip to the doctor's office. This time it turns out to be two ventral hernias that will be repaired on Monday, May 18th. So at least it's not a bad as it could have been. I just hope this time they don't use the adhesives (this is what happens to my skin with adhesives). Can I just say OUCH!
3. My MOPS group: Have I told you how much I love my MOPS group? I have? Well, you can skip on down to the next number if you don't want to hear it again, but if you don't mind I'm going to tell you again. My MOPS group is great. They are being so helpful next week by their many offerings of food and child care. I am so blessed to have such a great group of women in my life. I am not sure what I would do without them.
4. Family Visits: We were so happy to have family visiting for Matt's graduation. It was wonderful to have the company. We just wish they could come more often.
5. The rain: We've gotten a lot of rain recently but today I just enjoyed listening to it as it fell this afternoon. It was a wonderful and calming sound. Though the thunder scares Abby it energizes me. I just love it.
6. The crazy week of preschool. This week Abby's preschool class has had Bad Hair Day, a Teddy Bear Picnic and Opposite Day. Abby has loved each of these, especially the Bad Hair Day.

7. Mother's Day: The kids made several gifts for their grandmother and enjoyed giving them to her on Mother's Day. I am thankful for having such a great mothe-in-law. And I enjoyed seeing the excitement of the kids as they each gave her their special gift.

8. No training wheels: Last weekend we also started teaching Abby how to ride her bike without training wheels. She was so excited and will get the hang of it in no time. We found a handle that hooks onto her back wheels and that means no more hurting back!!
9. Gabe running in the Fitness Run. I am still so proud of all the effort he put into his training and the race.

3 comments:

Jane Anne said...

What a wonderful list! Carmen, I am so glad you are back. I am also glad that it is just a hernia (though that sounds really painful). I love Abby's bad hair day picture! Thanks for taking time to share your thankful thoughts.

Carrie said...

Great things to be thankful for! I love Abby's hair, too! she could never have a bad hair day! Will be thinking about you as you prepare for your surgery, let me know if I can help out, too!!!
{and the glimpse of your new kitchen table looks fabuloso!}

Aubrey said...

Hey Carmen - glad to see you back in the blogging world. What a great list and a great attitude to have to look to the positive even though the negatives can sometimes bring you down. I too, love Abby's hair. She would be cute with purple hair. Ha!! We will be thinking of you as you prepare for Monday.