Friday, May 05, 2006

Politics

I don't normally talk about politics but this is really bothering me. I keep reading more and more articles about how immigrants will work for cheaper wages and do jobs for those wages that US citizens will not. Many of the jobs that immigrant works are holding are jobs that are of a physical nature such as fieldwork and factory work. My parents own and run a nursery outside of Chattanooga and they have a hard time finding people to work for them. Some of the reasons are the job is too hot in the summer and cold in the winter and very hard on you physically. I remember those summers while not in school when I would be working and would have been glad to not have to work but I was needed. I also remember the winters my father would have to get up in the middle of the night to turn on kerosene heaters (and keep them running all night long) and in later years generators to make sure the crops didn't freeze and their profits along with it. There have been times my parents wished that there were more Mexicans around them so that maybe they would have people who would get the job done. I don't know how many times my mom has said well, so and so quit today after one day or one week because it was "too hard". People who keep saying to raise the minimum wage so that Americans will work those jobs just don't understand the effect that would have on small businesses like my parents'. We as Americans in general are lazy people and don't want to have to really work for our money. We would much rather put in the minimum effort and still get paid. It is easier to depend on someone else to help out (the government) if you "can't" find a job. But the thing is you can go out and find a job to pay for the things you need but it's not the job or wage you "Want". So I guess what I am saying is that if you need money then you take a job until you can find the job you really want. And stop the complaining that immigrants are taking all the American jobs because it is just not the case. Americans are not willing to do those jobs.

No comments: