Monday, March 06, 2006

Mr. Fix It

This weekend Matt and my dad played Mr. Fix Its and fixed the fan in the gas fireplace and replaced the knocker on the front door with one that is who we are and not one that has the previous owner's name. Then last night we found out the heating element was not working on the oven. So Matt and dad wiggled it a little hoping it would work. Last time this happened that is what Matt did but instead of using a utensil he grabbed hold of the heating element and when it started working it heated up fast and burned Matt's hand. Both men were smarter than that this time. Anyway, this afternoon Matt started to take it out to get a replacement part. He unscrewed the heating element and then grabbed hold of the wires, though at the time I didn't realize that, and he got shocked. I thought he had burned his hands again. Then I got worried that I was going to have to get him up off the floor and to the hospital. But he assured me that he is okay. I went outside and switched the power off to the oven. I wonder why he did think of that with how cautious he is with everything else. But anyway with all the wiggling the element started working again. Let's just see how long it lasts this time.

Matt keeps telling me that he is not a Mr. Fix It. My mom says at least he tries, she can't get my dad to do anything at their house. Which is funny because he was fixing all kinds of things at mine without me asking him.

3 comments:

Dji said...

As a lifelong reader of comic books, I am certain this will lead to electrical powers. Unfortunately, it's usually bad guys who get those.

Seth said...

Please tell Matt that I tried not to, but I couldn't help but laugh... a lot. Sorry Matt.

Mattdaddy said...

When it zapped me, I fell onto my back and couldn't move. Carmen was over me asking if I was okay, feeling my chest to make sure I had a heart beat, and otherwise wondering what to do about her idiot husband.

I literally could not move for a few moments. When I finally could, I was laughing too.